MCDC is a not-for-profit community organization based in Thetford Mines. It was created in November 2000. Our mission is to serve the English-speaking community of Chaudière-Appalaches and Arthabaska-l’Érable, with special emphasis on the Appalaches, L’Érable and Lotbinière MRC territories.
We organize a number of activities and provide community services and programs for all age groups divided in five (5) main components :
- Community life: social get-togethers, family and seasonal activities, cultural activities;
- Access to health and social services in English: network of public and community partners, promotion of healthy lifestyles, adaptation of health services in English, information sessions and material in English, interpreter and liaison services;
- Services for seniors: activities to help break isolation, promotion of active living, assistance to lonely and vulnerable seniors, prevention and awareness of elder abuse, friendly visits, support to caregivers, volunteer transportation and accompaniment services;
- Youth services: promotion of career opportunities in the region, promotion of volunteerism, bursary programs, training and information workshops, intergenerational activities;
- Communications: monthly and quarterly information bulletins, community directory, information flyers and booklets, website www.mcdc.info, Facebook.
We also own and operate a Community Resource Centre that provides access to a community library, a meeting room, an information corner, free access to the internet as well as easy access to the personnel for assistance, information and referral.